Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Teaching with the Jetsons

What a difference a day makes!  24 little hours.  Today was a short day so we could have professional development, but the morning was packed with action and adventure.  Three classes full of 7th grade boys, each more “lively” than the last.  I may have moved a couple of notches towards the good Doctor Angelicus on the Socrates to Aquinas continuum. 

I remain committed to finding a student centered style of teaching, but that doesn’t preclude having a fully structured plan for the students.  As I get to know them this week, I am developing a blend of small group projects and testing support measures.  I’ll share those as they emerge.  I’m looking into all of the cooperative learning strategies I can find, thanks to a couple of teachers from my son’s school which had a project based curriculum.

Meanwhile, let me marvel at the technological wonders of teaching in 2010 versus teaching in the 1980’s. 

First, there’s taking attendance and recording grades on the District’s ISIS system.  It seems so efficient and simple compared to the ubiquitous pale green grids that so many of us lived by.  Just click absent or present on the screen and submit the roster.  It also tells you of student absences in previous periods that day, and of course you can review any student’s previous attendance.  It looks like the grade book is similarly efficient. 

Second, there’s a ceiling projector in each room.  You can project anything from your computer through this projector. 

Third, they have a little camera device on a desk platform that photographs documents and displays them on the wall screen through the ceiling projector.  This is SO much better than the old opaque projectors with transparencies and all. 

Fourth, every room has a wireless speaker system.  The teacher wears a microphone, and then there’s a hand mic for students to use.  I’ve heard the arguments for this system.  It’s good for teachers’ throats, for English learners, and generally to make sure everyone hears everything.

Fifth, there’s a cart of 20 laptops for each team of four teachers.  And even a set of iPod Touches you can use.  And five big Mac computers in each class. 

I know how to use computers, and I can figure out how everything else works....But I’ll have to scramble to learn how to incorporate all of this great stuff into my instruction.  I know it can be a real asset, but I don’t quite know how to take advantage of it--yet! 

So score one for NEW, zero for OLD in this inning.  But it’s still early in the game. 

2 comments:

  1. Jeff:
    Welcome to the (at risk) tech savvy young students.
    There is a plethora of machines to assist in your pedagogy, but please don't forget the many old fashion devices (e.g. checking for understanding) that seasoned teachers do automatically and builds student - teacher understanding.
    And finally remind the students of an old Dylan saying:
    "I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours".

    Hang in there Jeff...
    KEN BARON

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the technology is amazing. I'm in a new school (3rd year open) and our classroom are outfitted with the above mentioned technology. Problem is, I do not have access to these beneficial teaching tools as I am in a room that was never meant to function as a classroom! Guess it's not a priority as I am just a special ed. teacher. Did I mention that I also share this space with another special ed. teacher? I am very appreciative that this teacher was kind enough to share his limited space with me since administration was offering up a teachers' lounge as my classroom (faculty restrooms included ). When questioning said administrator on the legality of the approriateness of such a space for a special ed. classroom, I was told "other schools do it". Wow, I don't even expect excuses that from my on students!

    ReplyDelete