Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Seventh grade lives 2

Yesterday I learned that the mother of one of my students died suddenly over the weekend of a brain aneurism.  She died on his birthday.  As a result he and his two older sisters must go live with their father about an hour away.  He will go to a new school. 

I can only imagine how traumatic this is for him.  He’s a shy, awkward, overweight boy, with a sweet personality and a gentle manner.  He has a sadness about him that suggests a difficult life.  He’s also a whiz at Yu-Gi-Oh, a fantasy card game with endless detail.  I asked the class to observe a moment of silence for his mother which they did very respectfully.  He told us a little more about her death (more than he has spoken to the class all year), and some boys asked a few questions. 

Of course this is a painful subject for the boys to think about, and their reaction is not surprisingly to change the subject and the mood abruptly.  My heart is heavy thinking of what this boy will face in the months and years to come.  I wish him the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment