Friday, November 5, 2010

SOS! Ship going down! SOS!

Well Gentle Reader, today was...how can I put it...a catastrophe!  I think that's the mot juste, but I might also say disaster, debacle, massacre, etc.  Every period was a crisis, except advisory when we went out to play basketball.  (These boys have no physical education on Wed and Fri.  There's lots of research on the beneficial impact of physical exercise on learning, and this flaw in the block schedule is unfortunate.  To compensate, we often take them out for informal playing on those days.)

Second period had too much going on in the aftermath of the periodic assessment (some had finished, some hadn't, some were doing an alternate test, some making up work, etc.).  The result was disjointed and disorderly.  Fourth period resisted working until the very end when they managed to listen to a few speeches.  Sixth period was just noisy for 90 minutes.  Then I had a bunch come back for detention, adding 10 minutes to my day.

When the last student left, I sat at my desk, literally vibrating from the adrenalin that coursed through my veins.... 

Now the vibrating has stopped.  I'm just sitting quietly listening to All Things Considered, beginning to contemplate the preparations I need to make for Monday....

Which are considerable....

Since I'm finally bringing in the computer carts....

To get the students into the Accelerated Reader system....

And into the online editing program called MyAccess....

Which I have high hopes for.

Deep breaths.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. 

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment